[cfe-dev] Rename -ccc-host-triple into -ccc-target-triple

David Chisnall csdavec at swan.ac.uk
Wed Jan 4 13:14:07 PST 2012

On 4 Jan 2012, at 21:02, Sebastian Pop wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM, David Chisnall <csdavec at swan.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I am definitely in favour of less confusing names.  It took me a while to understand what these mean.  Apparently gcc uses three terms:
>>
>> - build (for the system building the compiler)
>> - target (for the system that the compiler is built to run on)
>> - host (for the system that the code built with the compiler is build to run on)
>
> Really?
> Can you send out a pointer to the documentation page that you were reading?
> I have never seen these definitions for target and host in GCC.

Hmm, after double-checking, it seems that this is correct.

> In the autoconf documentation you also have it the other way around,
> please read:
> http://airs.com/ian/configure/configure_5.html
> "The system on which the tools will run is called the host system.
> The system for which the tools generate code is called the target system."

Ah, that was where my confusion came from.  A lot of things don't generate code, but their configure scripts still seem to use this terminology, so the system that you compile them for when you are cross-compiling is the host system.

> -ccc-triple is fine with me.

Anyone object?

David