[cfe-dev] Source-to-source translation of C++ using Python

Andrew Wilkins axwalk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 05:29:35 PST 2012

Howdy,

I'd like to get some feedback on a Clang-based tool I've been working on in
my spare time.

The tool is called "cmonster", a Python wrapper around the Clang internal
libraries (preprocessor, parser, AST, rewriter). The purpose of the tool is
to make analysis and source-to-source translation of C++ quick and
painless. I'd like to think this tool could address the points in the
"One-Off Tools" slide from Douglas Gregor's presentation at the 2011 LLVM
dev meeting (http://llvm.org/devmtg/2011-11/Gregor_ExtendingClang.pdf).

You can obtain and/or read a little more about cmonster here:
https://github.com/axw/cmonster

A couple of comments from me:
 - I've built and tested it only on Ubuntu Linux (11.xx). There's nothing
specifically Linuxy about the code though, so it should work on other *nix
platforms.
 - There's an oddity that I haven't fixed in the code that requires GCC to
be installed. Will be fixed in the future, but shouldn't be a problem if
you test on Linux at least.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks,
--
Andrew Wilkins
http://awilkins.id.au