[cfe-dev] Build Errors

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Feb 29 13:22:12 PST 2012

I really would like to avoid silencing the GCC "may be used uninitialized"
warnings by introducing unnecessary initialization.

These warnings are almost always false positives due to the way the warning
was implemented. What it means is that GCC has been unable to *prove*
initialization took place, and has not hit one of a (very short) list of
known impossible cases. This warning was bad enough that we (Google)
lobbied upstream and I believe it is now under a separate flag from
-Wuninitialized.

Every time we add initializations like this we achieve three things:

1) placate a fundamentally flawed warning
2) slow down code in some cases (the ability to eliminate the
initialization corresponds to when this warning *doesn't* fire)
3) prevent us from ever getting Valgrind errors if we in fact introduce a
bug leaving the variable uninitialized.

It is #3 that makes me really bothered by the spirit of these changes. I
would like to recommend anyone using an older GCCs should simply disable
-Wuninitialized. We will catch all of the bugs with Clang's -Wuninitialized
and Valgrind.