[cfe-dev] Python bindings overhaul

Eric Christopher echristo at apple.com
Wed Feb 1 16:00:36 PST 2012

Hi Gregory!

On Jan 27, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Gregory Szorc wrote:

> Major changes:
>
>  * Enumerations split out into clang.cindex.enumerations module
>  * Objects hold references to parent (i.e. worry-free memory management)
>  * Support for Token API
>  * More APIs supported around the board. Pretty much everything from
>    libclang is supported except the high-level Indexing component.
>
> Other improvements:
>
>  * Python style improvements. pylint and pyflakes output is now
>    tolerable and the code mostly follows Python best practices.
>  * Improved documentation
>  * Increased test coverage
>  * Added test to ensure enumerations are up-to-date with Index.h (uses
> Tokens API)
>  * Introduced decorator to cache/lazy load properties. This should cut
> down on C function calls.

This all sounds awesome. How about we start small here though? You've
mentioned that you have a bunch of cleanups for eye sores, doxygen
comments, etc that we could apply on our way to having the python
bindings get feature parity with libclang. Let's get some of those reviewed
separately and then tackle the larger tasks as we go?

Thanks again for all of this work, I haven't had time to look at your
github repository but hope to soon!

-eric