[cfe-dev] Clang is prefixed by triplet?

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Sat Dec 29 23:27:50 PST 2012

On Dec 29, 2012, at 13:54 , Anton Korobeynikov <anton at korobeynikov.info> wrote:

>> This is a bug. How can I fix this (i.e. end up with normal "clang.exe"
>> without renaming everything after the fact)?
> No, this is normal, since build != host / target and you're definitely
> asking for cross-build.

Right. We went through a few iterations of this with the Hexagon guys, who are actually using prefixes. In your case, the best thing to do is leave 'target' empty if you want unprefixed executables; this means "target matches host" and AFAIK matches GCC's behavior. (At least, it's what our autoconf does. Before 3.2, we had program prefixes completely disabled, so you couldn't even set one manually. Now you can set one manually, but you also get the default behavior of prefixing for "configurations that look like cross-compilers".)

Since Clang doesn't actually need different binaries for different targets, there shouldn't be any reason to set 'target' anyway.

>> This is unexpected to say the least, and certainly not a documented change.

Since we aren't really using "target" the way GCC does, I'm not sure what the "expected" behavior is, but the documentation is a good point. cfe-dev, should this be recorded somewhere?

Jordan