[cfe-dev] Caching a unified ParentMap in the ASTContext?

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Wed Dec 12 02:25:09 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose at apple.com> wrote:

> (+Olaf Krzikalla, a known external user of the classic ParentMap)
>
> The analyzer seems to be the primary user of the "classic" ParentMap; it's
> also scattered over the rewriters, but I'm not sure it's ever actually used
> there. All of the uses of our ParentMap seem like they could easily be
> implemented on top of ASTMatcher's DenseMap implementation, though I'm a
> little concerned about (a) the ability to *update* parents, which Olaf
> uses, and (b) the careful handling of PseudoObjectExprs and
> OpaqueValueExprs used for proper source locations in the analyzer.
>
> I also don't like the idea that building a ParentMap traverses the *entire
> * AST. That includes everything pulled in in every header file, when
> usually the analyzer only needs to deal with a single function at a time.
> I'm not sure what to say about this, though; making ParentMaps specific to
> Decls seems problematic in a different way: you can't match across *
> everything* as easily. And if you allow both per-function and global
> parent maps, you're doing redundant work.
>
> Hm. I'm not sure what I think yet, but I'm leaning towards using your
> lazily constructed global map on ASTContext and yet still keeping the
> per-function maps on AnalysisDeclContext. Unifying the two types is fine,
> though.

One thing I'm concerned about is how performance critical the parent map
for the analyzer is - we'll need to expand ours to work for at least all
types of nodes that have pointer identity (including TypeLoc and
NestedNameSpecifierLoc, as those are crucial for refactorings), while the
analyzer (currently) seems to only need statements.

Before trying to come up with a patch I'd be interested whether you expect
the analyzer to need parents for different node types anyway, and whether
you think the additional performance hit of building a more generic parent
map would be prohibitive.

Thanks!
/Manuel