[cfe-dev] Extend Static Analyzer with Abstract Interpretation

Bridge bridge at iis.sinica.edu.tw
Mon Dec 10 06:43:05 PST 2012

Hi Team,

    I'm a research assistant in IIS, AS, Taiwan. Our lab is working on
topics in abstract interpretation,

and we are looking for a framework to implement and test our ideas. Then, I
noticed this project.

I've read the developer's manual on website, the slides in 2008, and the
discussion thread below.

http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-dev/2009-January/003996.html

Also I found this paper, "A Memory Model for Static Analysis of C Programs".

The Front-end and the memory model are quite attractive, so I want to build
our work based on them.

The website says the engine do symbolic execution. I think it can be
modified for abstract interpretation.

Hence, I need some advice on where should I hack to achieve followings.

(i)  Apply another algorithm to traverse CFG for finding "fixed-point".

(ii) Specify "abstract domain" which to my knowledge is similar to symbolic
value and constraints.

(iii) Define state and transfer function based on the domain.

(iv) Other things I didn't consider, e.g. Someone has already done this for
me, and I should use his.

Thank you.

Hsieh, Chiao
bridge at iis.sinica.edu.tw