[cfe-dev] Calling clang packagers: Do you install libclang & the python bindings?

David Röthlisberger david at rothlis.net
Thu Aug 30 17:34:54 PDT 2012

On 26 Aug 2012, at 18:00, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Le 26/08/2012 18:53, Brooks Davis a écrit :
>> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 06:31:13AM +0100, David Rothlisberger wrote:
>>> If you are the maintainer of the clang package for one of the major
>>> OSs/distros:
>>>
>>> 1. Does your clang package install libclang and the python bindings??
>> On FreeBSD we do install libclang but do not install the python
>> bindings.
>>
>>> 2. If not, is it because of anything that needs to be changed/added in
>>>  clang's Makefiles/CMakeLists.txt?
>> It's just been lack of a request.  I'd be happy to add a package if
>> someone wanted to add a package that needed them.  I'd probably add
>> py-clang and py-clang-devel packages to avoid a python dependency in the
>> main port.
>>
> I am doing exactly the same for Debian and Ubuntu.

Brooks, Sylvestre, thank you for your replies!

My motivation is that I've written clang-ctags† and I would like to tell
people to just apt-get or port install py-clang, and then they can
git-clone clang-ctags and run it directly, without having to build clang
themselves. But I don't know that anyone actually *uses* clang-ctags
yet, so I don't know if it merits its own package.

Would you consider adding a py-clang package without any package that
directly uses it? What are the "notability" requirements for accepting a
new package such as clang-ctags?

>> I'd probably add
>> py-clang and py-clang-devel packages to avoid a python dependency in the
>> main port.

What's the need for py-clang-devel -- wouldn't py-clang already contain
all the required python files?

Thanks,
Dave.

† https://github.com/drothlis/clang-ctags