[cfe-dev] Warning about undefined methods/static attributes ?

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 13:19:47 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 1:03 PM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2012, at 11:13 AM, Jordan Rose wrote:
>> Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but don't we have an implementation of c++filt already, and can we use it on warnings that come through our driver from the linker? I'm sure there are good reasons not to do this all the time, but it seems like it would be a nice user experience thing in the 90% case.
>
> FWIW, the Darwin linker actually already demangles C++ symbols by default.

gold at least, if not other Linux linkers, demangles:

"hello.cpp:(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `func(int, int, int)'"

(& as for the idea of off-by-default beginner's warnings - that might
be a hard pitch. There's generally some resistance to adding
off-by-default warnings to Clang as they don't get a lot of usage
because people don't find them & turn them on.)