[cfe-dev] libTooling Questions

Jens Weller JensWeller at gmx.de
Sun Aug 12 08:54:00 PDT 2012

Hi Clang-devs,

just started to play around with libTooling, a few (C++ related) Questions...

As far as I understand, I can access the AST with LibTooling, retrieving f.e. all Function Names and beeing able to make changes to the ast.
This works over the Visitor and FrontendAction classes.

So, I understand how to implement tools which do transformations or rename things in the code, or generate statistics.

What I have yet not found, is kind of a Document Model for C++ files, which I'm actually looking for:
I'd like to be able to display the whole ast (or more precise, namespaces, classes, members of them), so I would need to have access to the ast nodes, instead of visiting selected ones.

Where to look for this, is libAst the right place?
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/InternalsManual.html#libast

As far as I understand, in LibTooling ASTContext provides information about the current location in the ast to the visitor.

So, where to start, if you need an document like interface for a C++ File in clang?

kind regards,

Jens Weller