[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Odd PPC inline asm constraint

Peter Bergner bergner at vnet.ibm.com
Sat Apr 28 09:19:13 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 20:30 -0500, Hal Finkel wrote:
> Thanks! Do you happen to know where this needs to be changed in clang
> or LLVM. The code that actually interprets the constraints,
> generically, is in CodeGen/SelectionDAG/TargetLowering.cpp, is clang
> relying on that code, or is there some frontend code in clang itself
> that is failing to initially interpret the string? If it is the code in
> TargetLowering, then I don't see any support there for '*' or '#'.

Heh, I'm afraid I have no clue as to where clang needs to be changed.
I'm the team lead for IBM's Linux on POWER GCC development team, so
I can help you with questions about PPC hardware, PPC ABIs and why
GCC does things the way it does on PPC, but I'll not be of much
help with LLVM itself.  I'm just a lurker here. :)

That said, I'm curious about the extent of LLVM's support for PPC.
How robust is it?  Does it support generating both 32-bit and 64-bit
binaries?

I'll note that although I work on GCC, I have no problems seeing LLVM
supporting PPC.  The more the merrier.

Peter