[cfe-dev] `_ZNSsD1Ev' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

James K. Lowden jklowden at schemamania.org
Tue Apr 17 09:09:47 PDT 2012

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 00:32:55 +0200
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at britannica.bec.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 05:42:10PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > Apparently this is something that works for 32-bit mode but
> > sometimes not in 64-bit.  Suggestions?
>
> I've seen this in some other packages before. It worked when building
> as root, but not when building as normal user or some other sillyness
> like that. I.e. it is a bug that gets fixed by the phase of the moon.

That's good to know.  At least if I can't solve the problem by
technical means, I can wait for the moon to change phases.  ;-)

In the interest of speeding things up, though, would you recommend
another compiler or linker?  GNU or Clang?  I have

$ clang -v
clang version 1.1 (branches/release_27)
Target: x86_64--netbsd
Thread model: posix