[cfe-dev] Where to put upcoming refcatoring tools

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Tue Apr 17 03:18:47 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
> Manuel Klimek wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm remembering discussions about which set of tools we want to be in
>> the clang mainline, and for which we might want to create a new
>> project.
>> Since the tooling base has landed now, I'd like to get some idea of
>> how we're planning to structure the clang based tools in the code
>> base, so we have clear guidelines for the future.
>>
>> It seems like on the one hand there's clang-check, which is so closely
>> coupled to clang itself that my gut feeling is it fits perfectly into
>> the clang mainline.
>> On the other side we have things like 'clang-extract-method', which
>> we'll probably not want in clang mainline.
>> In between there are things like clang-format, which basically all
>> tools that do code changes will depend upon, thus it's still pretty
>> close to clang, so we might want to put that into mainline, but I'm
>> not sure.
>>
>> My proposal would be to create a new top-level llvm project for the
>> refactoring tools with a clear guideline on what would go in there.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> /Manuel
>

> Did anything come of this? I'm trying to find out how to write a clang C++
> rewriting tool.

Not yet. Currently the majority of the refactoring infrastructure
(besides the basic tooling support) is in a branch in
^cfe/branches/tooling. There are ways to write rewrite tools based on
what's in mainline, it just requires a little more busy work on your
side.

Out of curiosity: what kind of rewriting tool are you planning to implement?

Cheers,
/Manuel