[cfe-dev] libc++ red-black tree: halving the branches

Dave Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Thu Apr 5 09:00:55 PDT 2012

on Wed Apr 04 2012, Howard Hinnant <hhinnant-2kanFRK1NckAvxtiuMwx3w-AT-public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I don't believe code size is going to be a driver on this one as the
> potential savings tops out in the neighborhood of 30 instructions
> (which is small compared to the entire R/B tree container code).  The
> bottom line is going to be performance.  Your rewrite is interesting,
> but for me, significantly harder to read.  So it will have to motivate
> with significant performance wins.  And if it does, I think
> __tree_remove would benefit from the same treatment.  However if we're
> looking at zero or marginal performance wins, then I favor the current
> code: it is easier to reason about and maintain.

Really, even with the duplication of left/right logic?  Seems to me that
if the code size reduction isn't a win and there are performance costs
you could still improve maintainability while maintaining the current
generated code structure by passing the member pointers as template arguments to a
helper function template.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing