[cfe-dev] Heads up: rewrite of CompilerRT's CMake build system

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 00:54:40 PDT 2012

Hello folks!

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about this. I spoke with Doug
about this about a month ago and he told me to charge boldly forward, so
the commits will be flying RSN.

Essentially, the compiler-rt CMake build system is largely non-functional.
Major portions are just commented out, I couldn't get it to actually build
anything. Daniel has mostly been maintaining and updating the Makefile
build system.

I'd like to get compiler-rt building as part of normal
LLVM/Clang/Compiler-RT checkouts. Manuel and I have hacked together a
prototype and everything seems to work, so I'm going to be removing the old
cmake bits and adding the new ones over the next day or two. Once it's all
working and tested, I'll remove the blacklist that prevents recursing into
compiler-rt when building with LLVM & Clang, and add conditional bits to
the Clang build to install the built libraries in appropriate places.

If this is going to cause anyone pain or suffering, shout out, chime in,
and let me know about your use case so we can figure out the best way to
support it.

-Chandler