[cfe-dev] build error on llvm-config

josef maxim pohl josef.m.pohl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 14:45:16 PDT 2011

Hi there,
My apologies on this as I am guessing that this is more of an llvm issue
than a clang specific issue.

I am receiving a build failure on llvm-config (see below).  I pulled the
source from the svn this morning.
The build is being done on a red hat 6 instance with gcc at 4.4.5.

gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jmpohl/build/lib'
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/jmpohl/build/tools/llvm-config'
llvm[1]: Regenerating LibDeps.txt.tmp
llvm[1]: Updated LibDeps.txt because dependencies changed
llvm[1]: Checking for cyclic dependencies between LLVM libraries.
find-cycles.pl: Circular dependency between *.a files:
find-cycles.pl:   libLLVMPTXAsmPrinter.a libLLVMPTXCodeGen.a
libLLVMPTXDesc.a
llvm[1]: Building llvm-config script.
cat: /home/jmpohl/build/tools/llvm-config/FinalLibDeps.txt: No such file or
directory
gmake[1]: *** [/home/jmpohl/build/Debug+Asserts/bin/llvm-config] Error 1
gmake[1]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jmpohl/build/tools/llvm-config'
gmake: *** [all] Error 1

running gmake specifically in the llvm-config directory yields:

llvm[0]: Checking for cyclic dependencies between LLVM libraries.
find-cycles.pl: Circular dependency between *.a files:
find-cycles.pl:   libLLVMPTXAsmPrinter.a libLLVMPTXCodeGen.a
libLLVMPTXDesc.a
llvm[0]: Building llvm-config script.
cat: /home/jmpohl/build/tools/llvm-config/FinalLibDeps.txt: No such file or
directory
gmake: *** [/home/jmpohl/build/Debug+Asserts/bin/llvm-config] Error 1

Any thoughts on where this circular dependency would be coming from and how
I can prevent it from occurring?

Thanks,
Josef