[cfe-dev] Passing StructType arguments directly

Tom Prince tom.prince at ualberta.net
Mon Sep 19 19:02:15 PDT 2011

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:54:02 -0700, Devang Patel <dpatel at apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2011, at 5:45 PM, David Meyer wrote:
>
>> Frontends would only need to generate high-level bitcode, freeing
>> them of target-specific considerations.
>
> Then, who is the intended consumer of this higher-level bitcode ? In
> my view, CodeGen/Analysis/Transforms pretty much sums up all LLVM IR
> consumers as Dan mentioned earlier.

The point isn't that there would be consumers of the higher-level
bitcode, but that front-ends could generate it without having to know
the target-specific information that is currently require to generate
correct IR.

And anyway, I suspect that at least some of the Analysis and Transform
passes would be fairly easy to extend to the high-level IR.

  Tom