[cfe-dev] Another Linker error with clang++

Devchandra L Meetei dlmeetei at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 14:09:11 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:19 AM, Eric Christopher <echristo at apple.com>wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Devchandra L Meetei wrote:
>
> > Eric
> > Extract from the clang++ compile without debug info. See the warnings
> which follows also.
> > Is there a better way to improve on this.
> >

> This is getting a bit more interesting...
>
> > /home/deleisha/CodeSpace/build/Release/bin/clang++ -c -o
> /home/deleisha/CodeSpace/pegasus/pkg/obj/Pegasus/DynListener/Service/cimlistener.o
> -W -Wall -Wno-unused -Wno-unused-parameter -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREAD_SAFE
> -D_REENTRANT -s -O2 -m64 -fvisibility=hidden -fPIE -fno-enforce-eh-specs
> -DPEGASUS_INTERNALONLY -DPEGASUS_CONSUMER_INTERNAL
>  -DPEGASUS_PLATFORM_LINUX_GENERIC_GNU -DPEGASUS_PLATFORM_LINUX_X86_64_GNU
> -DPEGASUS_USE_SYSLOGS -DPEGASUS_ARCH_LIB=\"lib64\"
> -DPEGASUS_USE_SQLITE_REPOSITORY -DPEGASUS_ENABLE_CQL
> -DPEGASUS_DEFAULT_ENABLE_OOP -DPEGASUS_DISABLE_PROV_USERCTXT
> -DPEGASUS_DISABLE_EXECQUERY -DPEGASUS_ENABLE_AUDIT_LOGGER
> -DPEGASUS_ENABLE_IPV6 -DPEGASUS_ENABLE_INDICATION_COUNT
> -DPEGASUS_ENABLE_INTEROP_PROVIDER -DPEGASUS_USE_EXPERIMENTAL_INTERFACES
> -DPEGASUS_USE_DEPRECATED_INTERFACES -DPEGASUS_ENABLE_CMPI_PROVIDER_MANAGER
> -DPEGASUS_DEST_LIB_DIR=\"lib\" -DPEGASUS_ENABLE_PROTOCOL_WSMAN
> -DPEGASUS_EXTRA_PROVIDER_LIB_DIR=\"\"
> -DPLATFORM_COMPONENT_NAME=\"cimlistener\"
>  -I/home/deleisha/CodeSpace/pegasus/src  cimlistener.cpp
> > clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-s'
> > clang: warning: argument unused during compilation:
> '-fno-enforce-eh-specs'
> >
> > g++ without -g
> > -----------------
> > real    6m45.524s
> > user    5m38.231s
> > sys    0m48.052s
> >
> > 8.4M    pkg/bin/
> > 12M    pkg/lib/
> >

> > clang without -g
> > real    6m26.595s
> > user    5m17.367s
> > sys    0m40.888s
> >
> > memory foot print
> > 9.5M    ./pkg/bin/
> > 13M    ./pkg/lib/
> >

> How are you grabbing the footprint? Is this just compile time or does it
> include link time?

These are both for compile as well as linking

>   Can you separate out compiling object files from linking? i.e. if most of
> the work is being done in the linker then there's not much we can do).

I do hope separation will take more time and investigation

>    How are you getting the memory footprint?

foot prints are being taken with du -h pkg/bin and pkg/lib,

pkg/bin holds all the binaries and pkg/lib holds all the lib files.
Though, These approaches are not good. This will be give enough info whether
to invest the time for the support or not?
memory foot