[cfe-dev] Callee declarations and explicit casts

Bill Wendling wendling at apple.com
Wed Sep 14 14:33:57 PDT 2011

On Sep 13, 2011, at 6:22 PM, John McCall wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2011, at 5:42 PM, Bill Wendling wrote:
>> Why not add a new function (or flag) which allows the programmer to choose whether they look through an explicit cast or not?
>
> I'm not convinced it's useful, and there's value in not having a bunch of subtly different methods.

I mentioned it only because there seemed to be some ambiguity over which way this function should go. There are only a few options if this is a problem; one of which is to have subtly different functions doing the same thing. But that's not desirable, as you pointed out (and I concur, I just mentioned it as a way to avoid the problem you wrote about (and, no, flags aren't much better)).

My vote is for correctness over convenience – those who care about explicit casts are at a disadvantage here, while those who don't care about them could conceivably "look through" them before calling this function. So I concur with you and Doug.

-bw