[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: Upcoming Build System Changes

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Fri Oct 28 12:55:11 PDT 2011

Daniel Dunbar <daniel at zuster.org> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:
>> Reid Kleckner <reid.kleckner at gmail.com> writes:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Keep in mind that, if Dan goes ahead his plans, tinkering on any build
>> system would require knowledge of both of them plus the python
>> scripts. That's adding complexity, quite a lot.
>
> This argument might make sense if you already know CMake.
>
> However, most developers do not and it is much easier to learn Python
> than CMake.

That's your opinion. And you are assuming that what you propose will not
require CMake (nor `make') knowledge for maintainance, something that I
strongly doubt.

In fact, as your proposed system deals with both build systems it acts
as a common denominator, thus restricting the evolution of them, as some
features that could be easy to implement on cmake but difficult on
`make' now must go through your scripts, which act as a deterrent.

> We currently have about 7k lines of CMake code in LLVM/Clang. My
> python scripts to deal with my proposal are significantly smaller than
> that.

This is unfair, bordering disinformation, I'll say. Most of those lines
are plain lists of file names and library dependency info. Then comes
support for user options, then platform tests. The actual amount of
cmake code is a tiny fraction of those 7k lines.