[cfe-dev] alternate clang driver

reed kotler rkotler at mips.com
Thu Oct 20 15:00:51 PDT 2011

Hi David,

I'm not really trying to sell people on another tool.

It's there if someone else wants to use it.

I found the clang driver to be overly complex and it was slowing down my
development and to me it should have taken about 10 minutes to set up a
new port and instead it involved lots of study and doing lots of
hardcoding regarding specific directories to search and may other such
things in the compiler which I find fundamentally wrong.

With my driver, I could do new ones in no time and make simple install
scripts so it can be configured for specific users machine.

I have to fix the builtin clang driver for Mips too and am working on
that now.
But I find that driver to be fundamentally problematic. It's just my
opinion.

Differences of opinion is what makes horse races.

Reed