[cfe-dev] controlling the value of DW_AT_comp_dir

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Thu Oct 20 09:33:16 PDT 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Nick Lewycky wrote:

> This is a follow-up to the thread that started here:
>   http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20110725/125101.html
>
> Would anyone object to a flag "-fdwarf-compilation-dir=..." clang flag that would clobber the DW_AT_comp_dir setting?

My first reaction is to resist such flag. It is most likely solving the wrong problem. IMO, DW_AT_comp_dir is something whose existence no compiler user needs to know.

> This is a gcc compatibility issue for us as we're relying on our ability to control this part of the debug output by setting $PWD. A flag would also work for me.

Can you elaborate ? What is exactly missing in clang's debug output today ? and how does it differ from gcc ? and why does it matter ?

-
Devang