[cfe-dev] A plugin proposal for clang

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Mon Oct 17 07:34:17 PDT 2011

On 10/15/11 3:44 AM, David Chisnall wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2011, at 01:31, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
>
>> 	• Custom optimization passes
> These are more likely to be LLVM plugins than clang plugins.  We already have a mechanism for optimisation plugins to automatically insert themselves into the optimiser chain - I'm using this for some Objective-C optimisations.

Is there currently a way to do that based on compiler flags?  For
SAFECode, we added a -fmemsafety flag to enable/disable the transforms
that add memory safety checks.  Being able to write a plugin for Clang
that adds command-line options that can enable new transformation passes
would alleviate our need to copy Clang into the SAFECode project.

-- John T.