[cfe-dev] Can't Bootstrap llvm-gcc4.2 on Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Thu Oct 13 13:40:52 PDT 2011

I can't bootstrap llvm-gcc4.2 on Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit.

 It's not a test failure; instead the configure scripts break in all
kinds of mysterious yet spectacular ways.  I spent a couple days
beating my head against those completely indecipherable shell scripts
then gave up for now.

Is there a buildbot that runs Ubuntu 11.04?  If not may I suggest that
one be set up?  A minimal Ubuntu installation could be run in a VM and
need not use much disk space.

I do realize that I don't need to bootstrap on Ubuntu, but that I
could use the llvm-gcc that is provided by the Ubuntu maintainers.
The reason that I'm bootstrapping the hard way is that I want to learn
how to do it myself, so that later I can bootstrap on Haiku.

Haiku (http://www.haiku-os.org/) is an Open Source clone of BeOS 5.
It has two ABIs, with two sets of runtime libraries, one built with
GCC 2.95.3 for compatibility with existing BeOS executables, and the
other built with a current GCC for new code.

Haiku is almost entirely written in C++, and is a HUGE codebase.  I'd
like to set up the CLang static analyzer to analyze the whole works.

Besides being a good test of the analyzer, and likely to uncover new
opportunities for analysis, lots of Haiku's coders are C++ newbies, so
I expect our existing analyses will uncover a multitude of sins.

Regards,

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha