[cfe-dev] Clang indexing library performance

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Sat Oct 1 11:44:48 PDT 2011

On Oct 1, 2011, at 2:34 AM, Alexander Bolodurin wrote:

> I was playing with libclang-based indexing and clang_complete plugin for Vim.
> Having found completion responsiveness a bit lacking, I decided to track down whether it's plugin's fault.
>
> To put the indexer under stress, I've made up an artificial test with the biggest and baddest C++ headers:
>
> ---------------8<---------------
> #include <boost/asio.hpp>
> #include <boost/regex.hpp>
> #include <boost/thread.hpp>
> #include <boost/spirit.hpp>
> #include <boost/signals2.hpp>
> boost::
> ---------------8<---------------
>
> ...and the following minimal test program using Python bindings:
>
> ---------------8<---------------
> from clang import cindex
>
> def clock(f):
>    import time
>    def wrapf(*args,**kw):
>        start = time.time()
>        f(*args,**kw)
>        end = time.time()
>        print f.func_name, end - start
>    return wrapf
>
> fname='...path to file...'
> idx=cindex.Index.create()
>
> @clock
> def parse():
>    global tu
>    opts = ['-I/opt/local/include'] # MacPorts Boost path
>    tu=idx.parse(fname,opts)
>
> @clock
> def complete():
>    c = tu.codeComplete(fname,6,8)
>
> parse()
> for i in range(4):
>    complete()
> ---------------8<---------------
>
> This is the timing I get on a Macbook Pro:
>
> parse 3.96061992645
> complete 3.31106615067
> complete 3.17438578606
> complete 3.37997102737
> complete 3.16793084145
>
> Each one individually isn't *too* bad, taking under 1s, though still not too responsive, with exception of signals2.hpp taking over 1.5s and, and less exotic thread.hpp taking about 1.2s.
>
> So, the questions:
>
> Am I misusing the library? Should I try passing some additional flags or anything else?

You want to use the "default editing options" when parsing the translation unit

	clang_defaultEditingTranslationUnitOptions()

and then reparse at least once. That will enable the various code-completion optimizations that should bring this time down significantly.

> Or it's just the way it is? What puzzles me is that completion takes time comparable to parsing.

That's because it *is* parsing :)

> I take it headers have to be re-parsed in case the order of inclusion changes, as it may potentially change header contents, but 3s still seems a bit excessive.

Given the volume of code you're parsing, I wouldn't call 3s excessive. On my system, GCC takes 2.7s, Clang normally takes 2.3s, and Clang when parsing for code completion takes 1.6s (it takes some shortcuts).

If you then turn on the optimizations I mentioned above, it goes down to 0.4s. Of course, it could always be better.

	- Doug