[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] weak_odr constant versus weak_odr global

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 09:47:06 PST 2011

On Mon, November 7, 2011 16:31, Eli Friedman wrote:
> 2011/11/7 Rafael Espíndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com>:
>> I tried a small variation:
>>

>> struct S {  static const int x;
>> };
>> template<typename T> struct U {  static const int k;
>> };
>> template<typename T> const int U<T>::k = T::x;
>>
>> #ifdef TU1
>> extern int f(); const int S::x = 42; int main() {  return f() +
>> reinterpret_cast<long>(&U<S>::k);
>> }
>> #endif
>> #ifdef TU2
>> int f() { return U<S>::k; } #endif
>>

>> and it crashes with gcc too :-( The original testcase works because gcc
>> folds the value into main even at -O0.

Indeed, I filed gcc bug#50968 for this last week.

>> If we are going to support it for real, I think Richard patch is going
>> on the right direction, but we should completely drop the idea of a "weak_odr
>> constant". If we cannot use it for instructing the linker to put it an o ro
>> section, the "constant" gives us nothing that the "odr" doesn't.

Well, a weak_odr constant's value can be propagated in opt, which is an
optimization we should strive to avoid losing. (I'm not sure whether it's a
conforming optimization, though: if we end up dynamically initializing the
variable, we may propagate the constant into places which are required to see
its value being 0 if it's dynamically initialized).

> In cases where the C++ standard requires static initialization,
> introducing a write violates the guarantees of the C++ standard for static
> initialization.  Therefore, I'm not sure the whole "make the constant
> writable" approach is actually viable.

There is another problem which afflicts all solutions presented thus far, for
the other kind of weak global values in C++. For a static variable defined
within an inline function, we can select the variable plus guard from a TU
with dynamic initialization, and select the function definition from a TU with
static initialization, with the result that the object doesn't get initialized
at all.

I have two new proposals for fixing this, which I believe actually work.

1) [Requires ABI change] We emit dynamic initialization code for weak globals
(even in TUs where static initialization is required to be performed), unless
we can prove that every translation unit will use static initialization. We
emit the global plus its guard variable as a single object so the linker can't
separate them (this is the ABI change). If we can perform static
initialization in any translation unit, then that TU emits a constant weak
object (in .rodata if we want) containing the folded value and with the guard
variable set to 1 (per Eli's proposal).

2) [No ABI change, but ugly and inefficient] We emit dynamic initialization
code for weak globals, unless we can prove that every translation unit will
use static initialization. In TUs where the value can be folded, we emit that
value as a weak_odr constant. The dynamic initialization code works like this:

  if (((char*)guard)[0] == 0) {
    if (__cxa_guard_acquire(guard)) {
      if (object is zero-initialized) {
        try {
          ... initialize object ...
        } catch (...) {
          __cxa_guard_abort(guard);
          throw;
        }
        ... enqueue dtor with __cxa_atexit ...
      }
      __cxa_guard_release(guard);
    }
  }

The zero-initialization check ensures that we never run both the static and
dynamic initialization, unless the static initialization produces the value 0
(which is equivalent to not having performed static initialization, so is OK).

One remaining issue with this is that the object still needs to be writable if
we fold its initializer to 0 -- we can either emit a weak_odr global instead
for such cases, or force weak_odr constants (at least ones with a zero
initializer) out of .rodata.

Thanks,
Richard