[cfe-dev] LLVM/Clang and setjmp/longjmp exception handling on MinGW

Ruben Van Boxem vanboxem.ruben at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 03:19:39 PDT 2011

2011/10/9 Anton Korobeynikov <anton at korobeynikov.info>

> Hello Ruben,
>
> > GCC produces the sjlj initialization code, where Clang does not. Is sjlj
> > exception handling not used with Clang or is this a genuine bug?
> >
> > Will fixing this hinder future efforts of using/porting stdcxxrt and
> > libunwind for MinGW, or will "flipping a hardcoded switch" be enough to
> make
> > that transition?
> clang/llvm does not support sjlj exceptions (with the exception of
> arm/darwin).
> So, please consider using dwarf-based eh (though it might be
> incomplete on windows).

GCC doesn't have any Dwarf exception handling on 64-bit Windows, due to it
being either extremely hard or impossible to get right. I would like to get
Clang to produce working exception code for Windows. The "right way" is
patented (SEH), so pretty of limits to anyone not from MS (or Borland, the
patent holder). I'm not trying to wake up this discussion again. I just
want to enable/implement/fix sjlj exception handling for Windows, in
hopefully a MinGW GCC compatible way.

Thanks!

Ruben