[cfe-dev] NSAutoreleasePool checker

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Fri May 27 12:47:58 PDT 2011

On May 27, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Sean McBride wrote:

>> Does anyone object if I enable it unconditionally?
>> Sending -drain instead of -release to autorelease pools works in both GC
>> and non-GC mode, while sending -release is a no-op in GC mode, so it's
>> good style to use -drain always (recent Apple examples use -drain even
>> in non-GC mode).
>
> And drain works back to 10.4 even.  Personally, I'd like to see this change.

I think it is fine to worth considering this change because it "makes sense for all users."  If this is in the recommended Cocoa API practices, for example, I'd be more than happy to make this change.  If this makes sense for (say) all GNUStep users, and we can determine that we are using GNUStep, then I'd be fine with turning it on in that case as well because that would make sense for that platform (as decided by those project owners).