[cfe-dev] libc++ ABI stability

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Tue May 24 09:53:13 PDT 2011

> And to be honest, my crystal ball works better on some days than others.
>  Our intent is to try to hold the ABI steady for awhile, and when we do
> break it, version it.  Inline namespaces have never been used for a large
> long-term project like this, so we'll see how it goes.

Fair enough - the plan holds regardless of whether you later discover you
want to break it more frequently than you initially thought you'd need to, I
was just curious about the idea that it would be as stable as all that. With
any luck it'll be easier to be stable from here than from back in the
pre-standard or early standard days - at least in retail builds. Minimal
footprints are provable, SCARY iterators are known (but who knows if other
such optimizations would come up) - though I'm not sure about debug
iterators, I imagine they could easily go through a few revisions (debug ABI
compatibility might be a lower priority), and I can't think of any other
examples off-hand, but no doubt there are. Yep, really is a bit of rampant
speculation though. Here's hoping it comes out pretty close to right so it
doesn't have to change much.

Thanks,
- David