[cfe-dev] libc++ ABI stability

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Tue May 24 08:17:56 PDT 2011

> Every once in a great while (e.g. maybe for the next C++ standard), we
> could issue a new ABI, which would then live in a different inlined
> namespace (e.g. std::_2).  There would be config macro to choose the ABI.

That seems fairly infrequent. I believe VS, for example, deliberately breaks
ABI compatability across every crelease. Implementing things like SCARY
iterators, otherwise cleaning up the footprint of collections, etc. Adding
checked/debug iterators. All these would be ABI breaking, wouldn't they?
(well, the ABI of the code that uses libc++, that is - you couldn't keep
using a static/dynamic lib compiled with an old version of libc++ if you
wanted to pick up the new version)

Or am I misunderstanding/missing something here?

- David