[cfe-dev] Cannot run clang regression tests with cmake

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu May 19 10:30:56 PDT 2011

arrowdodger <6yearold at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:
>
>> The name liblibclang is forced by an unfortunate collision between MS
>> and GNU name conventions. We can't create clang.dll with MS since we
>> already have clang.exe on the same directory (.pdb, .ilk and possibly
>> other files collide) so we must use some other name for clang.dll, like
>> libclang.dll. Then this produces liblibclang.so on GNU.
>>

> I've wanted to ask earleir, but forgot about it:
> Why we can't produce libclang.dll on Win and clang.so on Unixies?

For the resason explained on the text you didn't quote. The user would
need to be aware of the difference and do:

if( MSVC )
  target_link_libraries(myproject libclang)
else()
  target_link_libraries(myproject clang)
endif()

Of course this is not a reason that makes impossible to do what you
suggest. I picked a trade-off. If the consensus is that using different
names is the right thing, it's okay with me. However, I don't accept
reasonings of the type: "since I only work on Linux I don't care about
whatever problems Windows users may have." Please keep in mind that for
MSVC users cmake is the only way of building LLVM/Clang.