[cfe-dev] Cannot run clang regression tests with cmake

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu May 19 09:28:04 PDT 2011

İsmail Dönmez <ismail at namtrac.org> writes:

> Thanks, my one other big complaint with cmake is that it produces:
>
> liblibclang.a
> liblibclang.so.3.0
>
> It might be OK on Windos but this is really wrong on Linux and other Unix
> variants, shouldn't this be done only for Windows port if at all?

Then users maintaining cross-platform projects would need to
discriminate the library name by toolchain, which is not very
friendly. I'm supposing that most people use either cmake or
configure&make for their client projects, not both.

The name liblibclang is forced by an unfortunate collision between MS
and GNU name conventions. We can't create clang.dll with MS since we
already have clang.exe on the same directory (.pdb, .ilk and possibly
other files collide) so we must use some other name for clang.dll, like
libclang.dll. Then this produces liblibclang.so on GNU.