[cfe-dev] Clang Analysis of several open source projects.

Thu May 12 10:16:07 PDT 2011

On 05/12/2011 11:51 AM, John Smith wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Ben Laurie<benl at google.com>  wrote:
>> Experience with static analysis says that almost all the issues will be
>> false positives (at least in openssl).
>>
> This is indeed the argument against static analysis that I hear from
> developers. But if this is universally known to be true, then why
> bother with static analysis in the first place ? Isnt this part of the
> project just a waste of time then ?

We have used Coverity on RTEMS and it found a few places
that we could have written clearer, easier to analyse code
and a couple of real bugs.

Other places are questionable.  Telling you strn*() is better
than the without 'n' version is not so helpful.

I tried to run it on RTEMS also but the cross nature of
RTEMS got in the way too much and I had to give up.

I am interested.  Any bug found by a program is better
than a bug found by a user.