[cfe-dev] Big Clang DLL, plug-in mechanism revision

Argyrios Kyrtzidis kyrtzidis at apple.com
Mon May 9 13:00:45 PDT 2011

On May 9, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Nico Weber wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Argyrios Kyrtzidis <kyrtzidis at apple.com> wrote:
> I agree with Anton and personally am not too fond of dllimport/dllexport.
> Could we live without the big Clang DLL and just get rid of the current static plug-in registration, replacing it with explicit plugin classes with virtual functions (whose objects get created in the plugin) ?
>
> Also stepping back a bit, there's a "tooling" effort going on that makes it easier to build custom tools without needing plugins, isn't this a better way to go ?
>
> We're using a plugin that runs in addition to normal codegen on the chrome buildbots (the -add-plugin flag). It outputs additional warnings ( http://www.chromium.org/developers/coding-style/chromium-style-checker-errors has a list if you're curious). Running with the plugin slows down our build by a few seconds (a full build is 40 minutes, so it's a very small percentage). Doing this with the tooling stuff would be both slower and more annoying. TL;DR: I think the plugin stuff is probably useful even when the tooling stuff is there.

Ok, I'm only questioning the need for the big Clang DLL. We can get rid of the static registration using a "standardized" exported function from the plugin and a couple of virtual abstract classes.
Can we be more specific about what is the use case that the above will not suffice and we need a big DLL with all classes exported ?