[cfe-dev] Google Summer of Code Idea: Lambda functions and other C++ 2011 things

Nicola Gigante nicola.gigante at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 02:04:54 PDT 2011

Hello everybody.

I'm a undergraduate student of Computer Science at the University of Udine, Italy, I'm an
experienced C++ developer and I've followed Clang development for a couple of years
(not so actively as I whished).

To being able to (have the time to) work on clang more actively,
I've decided to apply to the google summer of code for the clang project. I know I'm a bit late for this
- the period of "students discussing their ideas with organizations" ends today - but I hope this is not
a problem.

My idea would be to work on the C++ side of Clang. In particular, I would like to work on implementing
lambda functions of C++ 2011.
This would probably require to implement a couple of other missing things like late-specified return type.
I've read what came up on this list about this topic, and I'm aware of the integration issues with the
blocks runtime etc...
If you feel this task is a little small for the three months period of the gsoc, I could also include in the
plan other C++ 2011 features such as constexpr or the new literals or another..

If I get accepted, this would also be the main part of my undergraduate thesis. I think this is a strong
motivation for me to finish in time (I should graduate in september) and kind of a guarantee for
you that I'm not going to disappear.
In the next days, when the student application period opens, I'll submit the formal application,
but in the meantime some advice would be appreciated.

Is there someone who would like to mentor this project?
If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer.

Greetings,
Nicola