[cfe-dev] GSoC - Static Analyzer project ideas?

Mon Mar 21 07:02:00 PDT 2011

On 03/21/2011 08:18 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
> On 21 March 2011 12:05, Martin Milata<b42-ml at srck.net>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to participate in this year's Google Summer of Code
>> program. I'm interested in working on the Static Analyzer, because I
>> think it has great potential to be a tool that a lot of programmers can
>> benefit from, and it also overlaps with my academic interests.
>>
>> The analyzer is not mentioned on the open projects page, so my question
>> is if anybody has some project idea and/or is willing to mentor it?
> Sadly I don't think I'm qualified to mentor, or I would certainly
> offer. I like your list (not so sure about dynamic loading, that seems
> low priority).
>
> One I'd like to add is some kind of support for rule-based finding of
> particular known bad patterns (e.g. the OpenSSL bug where return
> values that could be -1, 0 or 1 were checked as if they were
> true/false). Yes, this is vague :-)

I'm not a mentor candidate either but have tried to use
clang to analyse RTEMS (http://www.rtems.org).  We had
some issues with RTEMS always being cross built and
some noise from system header files.  All in all, I recall
enough not working that we didn't get far.

I'd been happy to be a tester for you and provide more
details on the issues we had.  It should all be in the
mailing list log.