[cfe-dev] Clang for Windows and Boost

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Sat Mar 19 07:27:46 PDT 2011

On 3/18/2011 11:23 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> John McCall<rjmccall at apple.com>  writes:
>
>>> Structured Exception Handling != C++ exceptions.
>>
>> Yes, but "Windows" means the Microsoft C++ implementation unless
>> otherwise specified (moreso because the question was asking about MSVC),
>> and none of the other EH implementations interoperate with that.
>
> I don't think the OP was asking about MSVC interoperability at the ABI
> level. He just wanted to build and run his code.

Exactly. If I can use clang with MingW on Windows, that would be fine
with me. Currently I can compile gcc on Windows using MingW. The Boost
toolset for gcc on Windows, using MingW, just works when I specify 'gcc'
or some version of gcc, such as 'gcc-4.5.2', and the program under MingW
is in my PATH or I specify where it is in the Boost user-config.jam.
Similarly, outside Boost, I can invoke 'gcc' or 'g++' from within a
MingW environment. In both cases the necessary header files and
libraries are found.

If clang could eventually do the same I, and I amgine other Windows
programmers, would be most pleased. I am not interested that clang
should go through contortions to support VC++ header files/libraries,
but if that happens it would also be fine. But it seems to me that clang
running under MingW is a reasonable goal for the clang developers
considering that gcc running under MingW is a reality.