[cfe-dev] Clang for Windows and Boost

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Thu Mar 17 18:46:05 PDT 2011

On 3/17/2011 9:28 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Edward Diener<eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com>
> writes:
>
>>> In theory, clang should build boost with mingw's headers and mingw's libstdc++,
>>> though, I am dubious clang on mingw lacks eh support.
>>
>> What do you mean that clang on mingw lacks support ?
>
> "lacks *eh* support".
>
> eh = exception handling.

I don't work with clang internally so I do not know why this would be
the case. Is this a current limitation of clang on all platforms, or
just with MingW under Windows ?

Trying out clang with the Boost clang toolset, which is setup for Linux,
I did not get the impression that the errors had anything to do with
exception support. But I do not think the Boost Build clang toolset for
Linux is setup correctly to work with MingW under Windows in the first
place given that the errors were so immediate.

I truly think that a clang toolset for MingW on Windows needs to be
created by a Boost Build developer based on the gcc MingW toolset, with
whatever changes clang needs, but I know very little about doing this
for Boost Build or about clang itself, so I hope someone else takes up
the challenge. I know that Steve Watanable mentioned he might do it and
I also got a response from Rene Rivera on the Boost Build mailing list.
I would understand if it is not possible to get clang with MingW to work
as a replacement for gcc with MingW, but I would still be curious to
know why. I do realize that the goal of clang is to be ideally 100%
conformant with the C++ standard whereas gcc may settle for less and a
more practical implementation which lets it work with MingW under Windows.