[cfe-dev] windows testing - lit.py failure

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Tue Mar 15 17:51:20 PDT 2011

dawn at burble.org writes:

>> > No, it's a clang I built using cmake and nmake.
>>
>> Sure, but did you installed the resulting binaries with execute `nmake
>> install' ?
>
> Oops.  No, I didn't know I needed to do that.  I just did...
> but it made no difference - the nmake and cmake commands you gave me both fail
> in lit.cfg.

No, you don't need to that. Actualy, as explained above, running tests
on the installed files of LLVM/Clang is not supported. Tests must be run
from the build directory (as you are doing)

>> > What's wrong with that?  It comes stright from the online instructions.
>>
>> The Clang sources are supposed to live within the LLVM source tree
>> (under tools/clang) not outside the LLVM source directory, unless you
>> are using the recently added feature for building Clang as an
>> independent project.
>
> clang lives in llvm/tools as usual.

So what's c:/llvmpath and c:/clangpath ?

>> Can you show the exact sequence of commands you executed from the
>> LLVM&Clang source code checkout until the failed attempt at testing
>> (both inclusive)?
>
> cd c:\dev
> svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk llvm
> cd llvm\tools
> svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/cfe/trunk clang
>
> cd c:\dev
> mkdir build
> cd build
>
> cmd /c msvcenv.cmd
> @rem where mscvenv.cmd is:
> @rem ------------------------
> @rem script to build clang libraries
> set ROOT=%cd%\..
> set PATH=%ROOT%\..\msvc\bin;%ROOT%\..\cmake\bin;%PATH%
> set INCLUDE=%ROOT%\..\msvc\include;%ROOT%\..\msvc\sdkinclude;
> set LIB=%ROOT%\..\msvc\lib
> set VCINSTALLDIR=%ROOT%\..\msvc
> set VSINSTALLDIR=%ROOT%\..\msvc
>
> @rem generate cmake makefiles
> cmake -G "NMake Makefiles" ..\llvm -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debug
>
> @rem build clang
> set MFLAGS=
> set MAKEFLAGS=
> nmake MAKEFLAGS=
>
> @rem ---- this is new ----
>
> @rem build the test files
> set PATH=%ROOT%\..\shared\tools\python;%PATH%
> cmake --build . --config Debug --target check

Python must be in the PATH before you generate the makefiles, that means
before the

cmake -G "NMake Makefiles" ..\llvm -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debug

(also replace `debug' by `Debug', just in case)

> @rem install the files so we can run the tests
> @rem Yuk!  this installs in c:/Program Files (x86)/LLVM
> nmake MAKEFLAGS= install

You'll better install after testing succeeds.