[cfe-dev] Rewriter and AST nodes SourceRange's

Abramo Bagnara abramo.bagnara at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 14:36:11 PST 2011

To make the work of clang Rewriter feasible we need that node source
ranges are exact and congruent.

I propose to properly implement the following invariants (written here
for review and commenting):

1. Decl: the range is from first relevant for the declaration to the
last character. The range include the final ; *only* if the Decl derived
AST node can never be grouped with other declarations.

2. Stmt: the range include always the final ;

3. Expr: the range never includes the final ;

If there is no objection to the invariants definition above we'll like
to start ASAP to fix following deviations:

- all the declarations node that cannot be grouped currently violates 1

- AsmStmt, BreakStmt, ContinueStmt, DoStmt, GotoStmt, ReturnStmt
currently violates 2.

Once done that we will still have two further problems:

1) obtain final ; location of a declaration group

2) obtain final ; location for Exprs used as statements

For 2 I can propose to introduce an ExprStmt node (inheriting from Stmt)
to wrap an Expr used as a statement. I think this might also be nice
also under a conceptual point of view

For 1... I've to confess I've not yet a decent idea to propose ;-)

Of course any better idea is very welcome as well as opinions/criticisms
to the above design.