[cfe-dev] Automatic Reference Counting for Objective-C

David Chisnall csdavec at swan.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 06:43:17 PDT 2011

On 19 Jun 2011, at 10:45, John McCall wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2011, at 1:53 AM, David Chisnall wrote:
>> On 15 Jun 2011, at 22:28, Chris Lattner wrote:
>>> iOS5 orMac OS X Lion (which provide the necessary runtime support for ARC)
>>
>> Are the semantics of the runtime support functions documented somewhere?  The code seems to reference them by name in the runtime-agnostic part of clang, but doesn't specify what they actually do.
>
> I've documented them in r133385;  let me know if the documentation is unclear.

That's great, thanks.  It was clear enough to implement all of the functions.  We now have a working (not optimised) implementation of ARC in GNUstep - I'm looking forward to playing with it.

On a semi-related note, I could only find the command-line options for running the ARC migration tool by looking through the source code.  Are these supposed to be documented somewhere?  And is there a reason they use arr instead of arc in the names, or was that a typo?

David