[cfe-dev] Attempt to install and test the libc++ failing rather catastrophically

Howard Hinnant hhinnant at apple.com
Wed Jun 22 07:18:15 PDT 2011

On Jun 22, 2011, at 9:50 AM, doug livesey wrote:

> Cheers for that -- does that mean that I shouldn't really be expecting to compile working programs with libc++ at the moment?

libc++ is approximately 98-99% complete.  If you're having problems with it, I would appreciate the feedback so that we can address problems.  The header <atomic> is known to be completely broken at the moment.  There is compiler work that needs to be done to bring it online.

> Or should I pass that to my build of the library, too?
> & thanks for the reply.

If you're seeing errors on Mac 10.6 like:

/usr/include/c++/v1/cmath:1243:9: error: no member named 'llrint' in the global namespace
using ::llrint;
      ~~^

Then there are two known ways to fix it:

1.  Drop -std=c++0x
2.  Add -U__STRICT_ANSI__

Other causes of many of the errors in the libc++ tests include lack of compiler support for uniform initialization.

Also note that C++0x support for clang is still rapidly evolving.  Several features have been added or significantly improved since the 2.9 release of clang (improved support for type_traits and noexcept are notable examples).

I'm guessing that "working programs" are probably not yet using too many C++0x features.  And I would expect libc++ to be able to deal with most "working programs".

Please feel free to post specific errors you are having here, and we'll do our best to rectify them.

Howard