[cfe-dev] Fixit order

Argyrios Kyrtzidis kyrtzidis at apple.com
Tue Jun 21 12:44:45 PDT 2011

On Jun 21, 2011, at 12:38 PM, Jordy Rose wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2011, at 12:09, Argyrios Kyrtzidis wrote:
>
>> On Jun 21, 2011, at 11:45 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>>
>>> After discussing this on IRC with dgregor, he agreed and raised another perspective that I find compelling for inverting the current policy: if there is a fixit suggestion note which merely silences the compiler, it should be *last*.
>>>
>>> < dgregor> I do agree that always putting "silence the compiler" last would be better… essentially, one could imagine the user reading each of the notes, shaking his head, and then clicking on the last one "oh, shut up, I know what I'm doing"
>>
>> I'd personally would like the one that was more likely what I intended to be first.
>
> I agree in theory, but I think that determining "what's most likely" is more nebulous than "silence the warning without changing semantics". I don't particularly mind whether "silence" comes first or last, but I think it's more important to have a convention for that than it is to get the /first/ fixit to be the most useful.

I don't think most users realize there is a convention, when they complain about the order it's because they want the one that they intended first. If "what's most likely" is nebulous the just use the convention.
Anyway, I'm all for consistency, I'm pointing out that users just care for less friction :-)