[cfe-dev] compilation regression, "fatal error: error in backend: Cannot select..."

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Thu Jun 2 09:01:58 PDT 2011

On Jun 2, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Sean McBride wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 08:33:35 -0700, Stuart Hastings said:
>
>> Yes, this is almost certainly my fault.
>>
>> Sean, could you advise me how to extract a test case to reproduce this?
>
> I'm afraid I neither know much about the vxl project nor C++.  (I build
> it nightly

It'd make investigators life easier if it is possible for you to get the bitcode file. If you build it then probably you can find the clang command line that is crashing with this fatal error then you can easily extract bitcode file. If the command line is

$ clang <various compiler options> -c  foo.c -o foo.o

then do

$  clang <various compiler options> -c  foo.c -emit-llvm -o foo.bc

foo.bc is a bitcode file that can immensely help someone track this crash without setting up vxl project.
-
Devang