[cfe-dev] c-index-test documentation

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Wed Jun 1 23:49:26 PDT 2011

On Jun 1, 2011, at 9:23 PM, Andy Somerville wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Ted Kremenek <kremenek at apple.com> wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> index-test and libIndex are not the same as c-index-test.  index-test was a test harness to test libIndex, but it was killed many moons ago.  I will remove the page.
>>

> Thanks.
>
> Is there another starting point interested developers should go to
> wade into libIndex that took its place? I went to that page to find a
> not-too-intimidating entry point for libIndex, and I'm still looking.

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately there isn't one.  libIndex was invented originally to pioneer work on the Xcode 4 indexing support from Clang, and to provide a basis for other clients wanted to do whole-program symbol cross-referencing.  For the former, efforts later focused on libclang (aka, CIndex).  libIndex is still used (I believe) by a few example tools in the clang codebase (e.g., clang-wpa), but it remains a proof-of-concept rather than an a library that has been pressed into production use.

Ted