[cfe-dev] Switching terminology from 'instantiation' to 'expansion' for macros?

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Sun Jul 10 02:41:34 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Argyrios Kyrtzidis <kyrtzidis at apple.com>wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2011, at 10:03 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Douglas Gregor <dgregor at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Agreed on all points.
>

> Thoughts on my second question (that of the names used in the actual code
> of Clang)? I'll start on fixing the diagnostics based on this plan today.
>

> I like the whole proposal, and having the name change reflected in clang
> source code would be ideal, thanks for your work!

Cool, here is the first patch which just changes the word in the diagnostics
(none of the fancy new diagnostics I'd like to get to yet...) and the first
4 patches in moving the code over. This moves essentially all of the code
local to the preprocessor and the diagnostic printer over. How is this
looking?

Can I rely on post-commit review for the rest of the terminology switch?
That would be really useful as several of those are going to be massive, but
entirely mechanical patches (SourceManager cleanup... ugh...).

Do we want to add the new terms to libclang's C interface? (they're
currently only used for the names of enums, so we should be able to leave
the old names in with the same value for compatibility)

Finally, the change to introduce the more detailed note diagnostic text will
require a bit of re-working the infrastructure in TextDiagnosticPrinter. I'd
like to generally refactor how some of that file is implemented. Can I just
commit those refactorings, and then the changes to implement the new
functionality, or would you like pre-commit review there? (I'm fine either
way, just trying to plan out my work.)

Thanks!