[cfe-dev] Lookahead vs. Tentative Parsing

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Tue Jul 5 21:54:40 PDT 2011

On Jul 5, 2011, at 9:41 PM, David Blaikie wrote:
> Objective-C++ exists and is important to a lot of our developers;  any implementation of lambdas in Clang will eventually need to handle both.
>
> Ah, Ok then. Though I assume lambdas aren't a high priority for Apple at the moment, given the presence of Blocks. Is that the case? That's why I thought I'd start looking at it myself as it seems like a feature the wider community might have more interest/motivation to work on than the Apple folks.

I don't think we'll openly weep if the first patches we see don't work in Objective-C++, but don't do anything that would it impossible.

> I suppose the question is whether  "getLang().CPlusPlus0x" is true for Objective-C++, or only actual C++0x?

Objective-C (and its revisions and supplements) is orthogonal to C++.  We can and do support using the Objective-C extensions in code whose "base" standard is C++0x.

> Well for now the ObjC case for messages comes first - so it won't pollute the C++0x lambda case until someone wants to add in Obj-C++ lambdas.

That seems like a reasonable approach.

John.