[cfe-dev] Is it possible to update cmake build without running cmake again? (Noob clang warning)

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Fri Jan 21 06:50:26 PST 2011

Dawie Joubert <joubertdj at gmail.com>
writes:

> Thanks for the info, but I believe I have found the correct answer.
> According to CMake in http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Useful_Variables,
> they indicated that should only set the compiler type once
> (-DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=clang -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++), the subsequent
> calls to cmake should not have those strings in as Cmake will delete
> your whole cache and compile everything from scratch ... thus if you
> want to compile Clang with Clang ... :) ... then you only configure it
> once with the different compiler settings ... the subsequent calls
> should exclude those settings as it handles the Cmake cache as a
> reference versus the "changes" that SVN did ... now my builds are far
> faster ... and I can enjoy the luxury of having a bleeding edge
> Clang ...

Of course you should invoke cmake just once for configuring the build
and use `make' thereafter, unless you want to change any configuration
paramenter. If the documentation contains something that could be
interpreted as saying that cmake must be explicitly invoked before
running every build, please tell us and we will try to fix the wording.