[cfe-dev] How flexible is the AST of Clang and its file format?

Samuel Crow samuraileumas at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 19:02:43 PST 2011

Hi Clang list,

I've been on the LLVM Dev list for a while now and was getting frustrated with
trying to make a cross-platform bitcode distribution when I noticed there is an
AST file format used for higher-level representations of C-like languages under
Clang.

What I want to do is make a GUI that represents the parse tree of a high-level
language as a tree-browser gadget so that it can be edited just like the code
but without the parsing and the keywords.  I know it's been done before but I
think it will be a good exercise in programming.

Is it possible?  Moreso, is it practical?  I'd like to kind of cherry-pick the
capabilities I support, eg. no preprocessor but yes templates.

Thanks for your patience and your thoughts,

--Sam Crow