[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] repo.or.cz GIT mirrors

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Wed Feb 23 11:17:38 PST 2011

Anton Korobeynikov <anton at korobeynikov.info> writes:

> Hello Everyone
>
> As you might already know, git mirrors of llvm repository started from
> repo.or.cz mirrors, where stuff was pushed almost by hands out of
> git-svn local copy. Right now we have official and automatically
> updated GIT mirrors on llvm.org and thus repo.or.cz mirrors look a bit
> redundant. However, they might still be useful, but definitely not
> within the current "push mode". It is possible to convert them to
> plain GIT mirrors of llvm.org GIT mirrors with automatic pulling, but
> this, in fact, will require us to delete repo.or.cz repos and recreate
> them from scratch.

Do git repositories cloned from git-svn mirrors work properly?  For
example:

                         svn
                          ^

                       git-svn
                       /     \
                      /       \
                git clone A  git clone B

I don't think one can share commits from clone A to/from clone B without
going through the parent git-svn repository.  Is that right?  I recall
having read something about that somewhere.

If this is a problem, it might be counterproductive to provide a
repo.or.cz mirror at all, because people will think it's a "proper" git
repository when it really isn't.

BTW, the llvm.org git-svn mirror is for trunk only, right?  How
difficult would it be to include the latest release tag in the git-svn
mirror (RELEASE_28 right now)?  This would greatly help people that work
with the latest release of llvm rather than trunk.

                            -Dave